Reporting Capital Gains and Losses

Form 8949

Generally, use Form 8949 to report gains and losses and exchanges of capital assets.  Short-term gains and losses must first be reported in Part I of Form 8949 and long-term gains and losses must first be reported in part II of Form 8949. Exceptions apply.

Schedule D

Schedule D should be used to figure the overall gain or loss from transactions reported on Form(s) 8949, and to report any additional capital gain distributions not reported directly on Form 1040.


Cathy Fisher

Common Cents Bookkeeping and Tax Preparation

Serving Henderson, NC, Buncombe County, Polk County, Transylvania County


P: 828-595-2835

  • Facebook Social Icon
  • LinkedIn Social Icon

© 2020 by Common Cents Bookkeeping.

Web Design by Starting Gate Marketing